Financing the Green Energy Sector

Financing the Green Energy Sector

(Capital Market Funding Options for Small to Mid-Tier Enterprises)

Capital Markets Malaysia (CMM), an affiliate of the Securities Commission Malaysia (SC), organised a half- day forum on Financing the Green Energy Sector in conjunction with the International Greentech Exhibition and Convention (IGEM) 2019. This is the third consecutive year in which CMM has participated at IGEM as a conference partner. 

Given Malaysia’s commitment to The Paris Agreement and its pledge to prioritise sustainable development in meeting the UN’s Agenda 2030, the Securities Commission Malaysia (SC) recognises the need to develop green financing capabilities in order to meet these goals. As part of our continuous efforts to provide for capacity building and thought leadership on the role of the capital market in financing the development of Malaysia’s green energy sector, CMM hosted the half day forum specifically to address the needs of green energy sector participants seeking to scale of their business operations.

The forum is part of a broad range of initiatives by Capital Markets Malaysia aimed at developing the country’s green financing ecosystem and highlighting the role that the capital market can play in the financing of the green economy. The event featured presentations and panel discussions covering the full spectrum of capital market offerings available to green project sponsors. 130 delegates attended the forum, with approximately 90% representation from the green energy sector and the remaining 10% from the financial services sector.

From the sheer volume of interest received to attend the forum and the numerous questions, queries and expressions of interest received from the audience, it is clear that there is demand from the green energy sector for financing. The capital market is well placed to meet these financing needs and its industry players have the breadth and depth of expertise to provide access to funding.

For its part, Capital Markets Malaysia looks forward to continuing its engagements with the green energy sector and capital market industry players as we work towards facilitating access to financing for SMEs and Mid-Tier companies within the sector.

Close Menu